Thursday, July 21, 2005

n00b

Cars and jeeps fleet by as I walk through the road to katipunan. The place was almost alien to me. That flyover and that LRT station, two massive concrete blocks that lead people to that 3rd world type light rail. Don't expect the best in this country. I started mumbling incoherent words to myself, just my way to pass time while walking. Sometimes, people do catch me talking to myself and violently stare at me like I was crazy. Maybe I was, maybe I am.

I have reached rock bottom that day. I had enough money for jeep and tricycle fares. Lunch was not an option. I found 10 pesos in coins hidden in one of my bag pockets. I pulled in a long breath and bought a bag of nagaraya nuts. The school fountain provided refreshment from the sodium laced meal. At least I would last up to 4pm. I scored a cigarette stick from some guy I sit beside in class. He pulled a pack after the class and asked me if I wanted one. I almost grabbed the stick, but I held my posture and said thanks. I still don't know his name. While lighting the cig outside, my hands was shaking unusually, maybe from the lack of food, or from the deep sadness I was feeling that day. I wanted to pass out on the cement road. I had to drag myself to ride a jeep. A group of fat ladies started complaining about the Jeep fare. I wasn't sure my conscience would allow me to tell the ladies to shut up. I'm almost a hundred percent sure my day was worse than theirs. I wasn't complaining. And I'm sure a fat lady wouldn't consider a bag of nuts as a gourmet lunch. So faking sleep resolved my problem. The jeep was playing a bad pinoy metal band song. The singer went "WUPAW!" like 500 thousand times, it was stupid, never amused me. The Jeep raced passed vehicles at top speed, swaying violently side ti side while making turns. I noticed a lady closing her eyes and laughing. I had to pull the "stop rope" about 15 meters before my stop to make sure they stop exactly where I want them to.

I got off and went home. Trying to absorb the day as it was slowly ending. I went to bed, Equipped with a newfound respect for money and unconditional love for nagaraya nuts.