Sunday, December 09, 2007

The Table

There are two things about me that some of you people don't know. I ALWAYS find something to do when I'm bored, and I like making stuff out of virtually anything I can get my hands on. In very very rare occasions I find myself in a dual state of mind and I come down to a creative fit and have to urge to make something, I start a plan and tell myself "Time to make something!", and so came the table project:



THE PLAN: To make a simple table for bebe

THE TOOLS: 2 Hammers (1 with the round end, and 1 to take out bad nails), A really old saw, Some random makeshift woodclamps out of old vicegrips, Tape measure, Squala (Metal Square), A pencil, Some sand paper, And a pair of work gloves.

THE RAW MATERIALS: Pieces of Wood, A whole bunch of 1" and 1.5" nails, Wood Glue(Stickwell), Laquer (Plastic Varnish), Laquer paint thinner, paintbrush, And a Kick ass state of mind.

I don't want to get into the dimensions because I don't really recall them exactly. I bought the wood from a shop just in front of Cathay Builders in marcos highway called "PALO CHINA". The table top is made of Lawanit, same wood that is used for walls "Dingding" and ceilings "Kisame", YES I'M THAT CHEAP STFU. The wood I used for the top rail is called Palo China, a soft wood commonly used for making crates. My father helped me with the whole plan because of his innate ability to envision furniture plans and vast experience in making them.

(I'm not sure I got the dimensions right, but these are rough estimates)

THE WOOD:

Table top - 1/4"X60"X 35" Lawanit flatwood
2 pieces 1x1 wood for top rail, around 25"
1 long ass flat wood 2" X 1/4" around 70"
1 very long piece of 2"X2" (DOS POR DOS) wood, around 55"
TOTAL OF 200php


FIRST PART:

Obviously you have to measure everything first. So use a tape measure to get your dimensions. Using the table top as the basis for measurement and I could not be more of a captain obvious when I say that. Some simple math and common sense comes in handy for this part.

SECOND PART:

Glue the top rail and the legs on to the tabletop by following this simple chart:
You can make your own measurements based on the tabletop. Do not forget to glue the wood surfaces that touch each other for more strength. Let it dry OVERNIGHT.

Wood glue is pretty strong stuff, I misjudged it by comparing it with normal all purpose glue like Elmers™ (They have a line for wood glue too), but this stuff is great! on wood of course. I used an old shoe and a pair of clogs to position the legs so that they are glued on correctly.






OLD DOC MARTENS SAVES THE DAY!!!



















Can of stikwell = camwhore












THIRD PART:

You have to nail the parts using the diagram here. For the top rail, nail going from the tabletop down. You can use a piece of wood to put under the top rail you nailing down for support.



FOURTH PART:

Sand down the legs and the table top. You do not have to sand down the top rails but it's up to you if you're feeling a little enthused.

OPTIONAL - What we did was we put side top rails to make it the table look like nice. We used the thin piece of pre shaped wood for the corners of the tabletop to make it look thick.

FINAL PART:

Put one coat of Plastic Varnish or Laquer of the color you like (We used maple). And coat all the visible sides. This stuff dries really fast around 10 minutes, one of the reasons why my dad advised me to buy this type of finish is because of that reason and I'm a cheap ass bastard (Oil varnish costs 1,500php per 4 gallons, they only come in 4 gallons). Double coat or triple coat the table top and you are finished. A brand new table made by your own hands.



Whole project costs came down to a whopping cheapskate total of 600php, not bad. And I get to make bebe smile and be proud of me, which is, and I'm going to cheese these up real good, priceless!!! (OMG EVERYONE SAW THAT COMING)

No comments: